You probably know what you’ll need to rent a car if you are headed to Miami, but the chances are that you might not be as sure of what you’ll need if you want to rent a boat. As boating is one of the things that Miami is famous for worldwide it’s certainly something a lot of people do, and the good news is that the requirements to rent a boat in Miami are not as difficult to meet as you might think. Here’s a look at some of the basics:
- To rent a boat in Miami You must be at least 18 years old. So you will need ID to prove that you are. That is a legal requirement, the owners of some charter boats may impose a higher age limit to rent their boat, that’s their personal decision.
- If you are under 22 years old, you’ll need to pass the Florida Boater’s Education exam. This is a low-cost class (usually around $25) and can be completed online. It’s actually a good idea for anyone, no matter how old to take it if they are renting a boat for the first time as it offers some invaluable information.
- You’ll need government issued ID (driver’s license, no driver ID, passport etc.)
- A major credit card. No matter whether you rent your boat online or offline almost every owner makes a credit card a requirement. The investment they make in their boats is a significant one and they prefer a little extra security when renting it out.
- An open mind. Boating in Miami means many different things to different people. It offers the chance to sightsee, party, fish, enjoy watersports and much more. Come down with an open mind and you’ll quickly find a boating trip in Miami can be almost anything you want it to be.